The Decolonization Wars were a series of conflicts between 1923 and 1965, at which's end the Kyrenaian Colonial Empire had collapsed and reduced significantly in size. While many of the Colonies separated in bloody independence wars and descended into civil wars, some separated peacefully, especially as time went on.
Usually, the Decolonization Wars are said to start with the Muetad-Uprising in 1923 and ended in 1965 with Aaron-Ilkhan sending food to Va'a Mamao during a famine.
- 1 Timeline
- 1.1 Jawiyun-War (1921)
- 1.2 Muetad-Uprising (1923-1927)
- 1.3 Va'a Mamao (1929-1930)
- 1.4 War of Independence of Markaz (1933-1941)
- 1.5 Sawmiea-Uprising (1933)
- 1.6 Eadhra War of Independence (1936-1957)
- 1.7 Aintalaq-Uprising (1938-1955)
- 1.8 Allaazwrd-Uprising (1942-1948)
- 1.9 Iimyralidi War of Independence (1945-1956)
- 1.10 Jalid Emergency (1952-1954)
- 1.11 Mushkila War of Independence (1950-1965)
- 1.12 Thur-Guerilla (1958-1965)
- 1.13 Independence of Arkhabil, Altayih and Mutasharid (1963-1965)
- 1.14 The End (1965)
- 2 Foreign Involvement
- 3 Aftermath
- 4 Kyrenaians involved
Sometimes counted as a part of the Decolonization Wars, sometimes seen as a prelude to it,
The Muetad-Uprising ended in 1927, with the region of Eadhra remaining a part of the Sultanate - for now.
Va'a Mamao (1929-1930)
War of Independence of Markaz (1933-1941)
In 1941, the now-sovereign Markaz and Kyrenaia signed a peace treaty.
Eadhra War of Independence (1936-1957)
Following on the Muetad-Uprising, the Eadhra-Uprising spread over the entire colony and soon turned into less of a colonial war of independence and more into a five-way civil war. Fascists, Communists, Radical Republicans, Socialists and the Kyrenaian Colonial Masters battled for the supremacy in the area.
The Kyrenaian Forces fortified its positions in 1949 and retreated in 1953. The warring continued for four more years. In total, this would be the theatre of war with the most casualties, with roundabout fifty thousand Kyrenaian Soldiers killed in action in 17 years. In total, it is estimated, that 815,000 people died in the entirety of the conflict.
The Uprising ended in 1955 with the surrender of the Rebels, only to be reignited three years later, in 1958.
The Allaazwrd-Uprising was an uprising from 1942 to 1948 in the Territory of Salalkubz, the Bread Basket of the Sultanate, centered around the city of Allaazwrd.
The Allaazwrd-Uprising is internationally also known for one of the only times as the Decolonization Wars slopped over onto the Five Deserts, as in 1948 a terrorist attack claimed 19 lives in Sinope. In in the same year, the Kyrenaian Armed Forces took revenge by bombarding civilians in the Allaazwrd-Area, killing over two thousand civilians. Among the pilots flying in this revenge action was the grandfather of Kyrenaia's Minister of Foreign Affairs Azad Safir (he used this example during the 2020 Ferinan-Archipelago Crisis to convince the Shikonmanjese of a measured and calm response after a terror attack in their Mainland). The Operation was known as Eamaliat Allusus, Operation Bandit.
The uprising ended in 1945 with the subjugation of the rebelling towns and cities.
In 1954, the Kyrenaian Forces were soundly defeated, the remaining men and women taken prisoner. In 1956, due to international mediation, these prisoners were released and Kian-Sultan recognized the independence of Iimyralid.
Following on the failed Aintalaq-Uprising, from 1938 to 1955, the 'Fighters of the Second Generation' banded together and began a guerilla war,
This conflict ended in 1965 with the Aintalaq Peace Accords, which established the formal Territory of Aintalaq, a semi-autonomous entity formally immediate to the Sultanate, with an independent inner policy and other advantages, but also obligations.
Independence of Arkhabil, Altayih and Mutasharid (1963-1965)
Unlike many of its contemporaries, the rebellions in the Territories of Arkhabil, Altayih and Mutasharid were not bloody uprisings, but mostly peaceful protests. The Kyrenaian Armed Forces were unable to subjugate the uprisings and in 1965, Kian-Sultan had to cut the losses and granted the three territories independence. In 1970, all three formed the Confederacy of Salamthaluth, a federal republic incorporating all three territories.
The End (1965)
The Selkie, old allies
By 1985, Kyrenaia had returned to the World Stage without making a splash.
Newly Independent Countries
- Markaz: A country mostly populated by one ethnicity is nowadays a well respected nation in the world.
- Eadhra: After the Kyrenaians were thrown out in 1953, the civil war continued until 1957, political ideologies clashing there brutally. Since then, there have been two more civil wars with the colleagues over in Political Sciences seeing the next one on the horizon. This time, not fascists, communists and democrats clashing or different tribes, but warlord states, which carved themselves a little piece out of Eadhra.
- Iimyralidi: A hellhole torn apart by civil war.
- Mushkila: Different tribes and political groups saw to it, that there is no stately structure at all, warring each other and the country to pieces.
- Salamthaluth: Three former colonies having come together peacefully to form one nation. It is not the richest one, sure, but it is a peaceful place.
- Jazirat Alshahwa.