The Naval Armament Program of 1922 was an initiative by the Elder Council to build up a naval force for the Free Lands, which could stand the test of foreign powers, thus launching the SDF-Navy, propelling it from an underequipped force of outdated police boats to a modern naval force.
The last vessels of the Program were comissioned in 1937.
The SDF-Navy of that time was equipped with a multitude of new vessels, most of which were laid down and launched on yards in the Free Lands, using the most modern available technologies and techniques to build and equip these vessels. This provided not only valuable experience, but also marked the first forays of the shipbuilding industry into arms exports.
The plan was comprised as follows:
- Six light cruisers of the Rhiannon-class.
- Originally, it was planned to supplement them by three heavy cruisers or light battlecruisers of the Maighdean-class, built abroad, but due to budget constraints and other difficulties, that was changed in 1931 to nine additional light cruisers, of the smaller and generally improved Cailleach-class.
- 45 sloops of the Miodóg-class, some also known as part of Abhcan's Little Daggers.
- Dozens of torpedo boats of the Reathaí-class.
- 12 oceangoing torpedo boats of the Grey Wolf class.
- Six destroyer/sloop/torpedo boat tenders of the Leaba-class.
- They thought about adding a further six, but instead cancelled them.
- One seaplane tender, SDFS Faoileán, a cousin of the Leaba-class.
- 16 mine warfare vessels of the Trádghaoth-class.
- 10 squadrons of torpedo bombers, first Launceston Aircraft Factory LAF-3 Rualacha Torpedo Bombers, then Monarcha M-16 Giodróg Torpedo Bombers.
- 10 squadrons of long range fighters and fighterbombers, Sciathán Iolar.
- 20 squadrons of seaplanes, many replaced in the mid- to late-40s by helicopters.
- Light Seaplane: Shane Airworks Débheathach Reconnaissance Seaplane, Shane Airworks Piongain Seaplane Fighter.
- Medium Seaplane:
- Heavy Seaplane: Shane Airworks Snámhán,
- 6 squadrons of of medium bombers and reconnaissance planes, first Monarcha M-20 Medium Bombers, then Monarcha M-22 Faoilean Medium Bomber and Reconnaissance Planes.
- In cooperation with the SDF-Army, projects to develop helicopters, rockets and rocket-powered aircraft, later jet aircraft, radar, sonar and other equipment, which resulted, amonst other things, in the Rocket Barrage Anti-Aircraft System.
The program ran out in 1937, after 15 years.