- Displacement: 425 tonnes
- Length: 57 metres
- Beam: 8 metres
- Draft: 2 metres
- Propulsion: 3x diesel engines with 2130kW/each
- Maximum Speed: 30 knots (56 km/h)
- Range: 5,556 km (3,000 nmi)
- Complement: 23 officers, 18 seamen
- Sensors and processing systems: Radar, Sonar, Navigation Radar, 2 Fire Control Radars
- Electronic warfare & decoys: Multi Ammunition Softkill System, enhanced ESM-suit
- Armament: 2x 40mm dual purpose guns, 6x SAMs, 2x 23-cells RAM, 3 hedgehogs, 4 rails for mines and depth charges
The domestically produced Sciath-class Corvette was, in its time, a new design for the Navy, built in the 90s to replace the Nocht-class Corvettes and the Cleanóiril-class Sloops. They are general purpose escort ships, specialized in protecting own units from a great many of dangers.
Like their contemporaries, the Claíohm-class Frigates, the Sciath-class corvettes are currently in the process of being phased out, currently being relegated to 'rear services', such as escorting the vessels of the Oiler Groups.
Currently in service:
- With Oiler Group 1: SDFS Cosaint, SDFS Dúnford, SDFS Bráisléad
- With Oiler Group 2: SDFS Sciath, SDFS Balla, SDFS Túr
- With the Mine Warfare Command: SDFS Cnoc
Sunk at the Battle of Marley Bay:
- SDFS Buail (Kiana Rúisc of the Tribe of Waterford's mother was an officer on her).