The Sultanate of Kyrenaia, Kyrenaia or the Sultanate for short, is a large, wide country dominated by the Five Deserts of Kyrenaia, where the Kyrenaians live and love.
- 1 History
- 1.1 Mythical and Prehistoric Times
- 1.2 The First Kyrenaian Civil War (850 BCE - 754 BCE)
- 1.3 The Age of the Emirs (754 BCE - 65 BCE)
- 1.4 The Khans' Invasion (65 BCE - 15 CE)
- 1.5 The Age of Masks (15 CE - 125 CE)
- 1.6 Second Kyrenaian Civil War (125 CE - 163 CE)
- 1.7 The Rise of the Sultanate (163 CE - 942 CE)
- 1.8 The Age of Fire (942 - 1001)
- 1.9 The Sultan's Exile (1001 - 1265)
- 1.10 The Golden Age (1265 - 1463)
- 1.11 The Age of Sieges (1463 - 1594)
- 1.12 Third Kyrenaian Civil War (1594 - 1632)
- 1.13 The Kyrenaian Colonial Empire (1632 - 1923)
- 1.14 The Decolonization Wars (1923-1965)
- 1.15 Downwards and Upwards (1965-2010)
- 1.16 The New Colonial Empire (2010-today)
- 1.17 See also
- 2 Geography
- 3 Politics
- 4 Economy
- 5 Demographics
- 6 Culture
Mythical and Prehistoric Times
- ca. 27th century BCE: King Nudinmud rules Almadaldima.
The First Kyrenaian Civil War (850 BCE - 754 BCE)
The Age of the Emirs (754 BCE - 65 BCE)
The Khans' Invasion (65 BCE - 15 CE)
The Age of Masks (15 CE - 125 CE)
Second Kyrenaian Civil War (125 CE - 163 CE)
The Rise of the Sultanate (163 CE - 942 CE)
The Age of Fire (942 - 1001)
The time between 942 and 1463 is known as the Kyrenaian Middle Ages. The Age of Fire was about the Sultanate finding its inner order
The Sultan's Exile (1001 - 1265)
Foundation of the Order of the Tabardariyya.
1258: The Ilkhanate of Sicca is overthrown by an internal rebellion and forms itself as a Merchant Republic. Falls to the Ilkhanates of Kyrene and Megido in 1301.
The Golden Age (1265 - 1463)
With the return of Sultan Mehmet into the Citadel on the Mountain, 1264, and the subsequent Battle of Ebla, 1265, the Exile of the Sultan was ended and a time of reconstruction, of science and art began, the Kyrenaian Golden Age.
For nearly two centuries, mostly peace reigned in the Five Deserts, trade bloomed and
- 1265: Establishment of the Elective Monarchy. First Sultan: Mehmet III.
- 1407: Ilkhan Tarek VI. accepts Heliocentrism.
- 1428: Aurelia the Wise establishes compulsory school attendance in the Ilkhanate of Utica.
The Age of Sieges (1463 - 1594)
- 1463: Siege of the Citadel
- 1523: Establishment of the Khanate of Jazirat Alshahwa.
- 1546: Founding of the Sultan's Navy.
- 1590: The Great Famine begins. It lasts until 1598 and is seen as one of the contributing factors of the outbreak of the Third Kyrenaian Civil War, 1594 - 1632.
Third Kyrenaian Civil War (1594 - 1632)
The Kyrenaian Colonial Empire (1632 - 1923)
Early Colonial Era (1632-1655)
- 1649: Aurelia, Ilkhana of Utica (1620-1689) ascends to becoming the Ilkhanate of Utica.
- Ellaha-Sultana (1620-1685) reigned from 1651 to 1685, originally a Princess of Las.
High Colonial Era (1660-1852)
Late Colonial Era (1852-1923)
- 1852: Unlike the RKN (founded in 1546), the RKA is founded in 1852 out of the private armies of the Ilkhans and Khans.
- Military History of Kyrenaia during the Colonial Era (1632-1852).
- Oil War of 1920.
- Jawiyun-War of 1921.
The Decolonization Wars (1923-1965)
- 1929: The Khanate of Jazirat Alshahwa becomes independent as Republic of Va'a Mamao, expels and executes every Kyrenaian they find, diplomatic ice age
- 1950: Surya Corporation builds the first Kyrenaian Nuclear Power Plant in Rusadir. It is connected to the grid in 1953 and taken offline in 1993.
- 1961: First Kyrenaian satellite, Marafiqira.
- 1964: Kyrenaia tests its first nuclear weapon in an underground test.
- 1965: The Sultanate sends food shipments to Va'a Mamao during a famine
Downwards and Upwards (1965-2010)
- 1970: Protests of 1970.
- 1971: Razia becomes Ilkhana of Utica.
- 1972: Kian-Sultan dies, Razia-Sultana Umm Albilad becomes new Sultana.
The New Colonial Empire (2010-today)
- 2000: Beginning of the Kyrenaian Peacekeeping Mission in the Kupandukira Civil War.
- 2017, 26th of Novembre: Beginning of the Diplomatic Relations between the Sultanate of Kyrenaia and the United Island States of AHSCA.
- 2018, 11th to 12th of March: Jazirat Alshahwa becomes a Khanate again.
- 2020: 2020 Ferinan-Archipelago Crisis.
- 2020 State Visit of Queen Callista IV of Mervay to Kyrenaia.
- 2021 International Incident following the breakup of Princess Aurelia and Duchess Marcella.
- Also see: List of Cities in Kyrenaia.
Roughly speaking, Kyrenaia can be devided into five large segments and a number of smaller ones. These large segments are the Desert of Utica, the Desert of Kyrene, the Desert of Megido, the Desert of Sarepta and the Desert of Fenchu, which coincide with the borders of the five Ilkhanates described below.
One of the major influences on Kyrenaia's Climate are the trade winds, called Altanaminlabawa, the Breath of the Lioness, in Kyrenaian. They usually come from the North-East to the North-North-East, rarely the East-North-East. Usually, they bring rain, which comes down as relief rainfall. When the Inter-Tropical Convergence Zone wanders north during the spring, the dry time of summer follows, when it wanders south during the autumn, the 'rainy' season follows during winter (rainy in this case means only a few dozen millimeters of rain, for example 24 mm of Average Rainfall in Oea).
- See Main Article: List of animal species endemic to Kyrenaia, List of plant species endemic to Kyrenaia.
- See: Kyrenaian Royalty.
Head of State of Kyrenaia and absolute ruler is the Sultan or Sultana, at the moment Razia Sultana Umm Albilad, aided by the council of the four other Ilkhans and the government, made up of a number of Viziers led by a Grand Vizier. Head of Government is Grand Vizier Hassan ben Sahid, Minister of Foreign Affairs is Vizier Azad Safir, his colleague responsible for economics is Vizier Karim Ibn-al-Hakim.
Each Ilkhan's Territory is ruled in a similar fashion by the Ilkhan, who's governments are composed of Katibi (singular Katib) and is led by their Wasita. The Ilkhanates are also composed of Khanates, which are ruled by Khans and Khanas, who sometimes also have advisors and ministers known as the Walisi (singular Wali), who can also act as steadholders in certain regions. Underneath the Khans, there can be Beys, which rule certain regions, but there will be Mayors, especially in more urbanized areas, who are elected by the people of their community - if there is a Bey, they act as their advisor and Head of local government, if there is no Bey, they act as the very same.
Kyrenaia does foreign policy along the lines of the Natural Law of Nations, or Alkanun Altbeiu Lilumam, which, according to the former Grand Vizier Mahmut al-Zahir , is a doctrine emphasizing the constant pursuit of peace and, in lieu with that, adhering to the agreements made with other nations. The Freedom of the Seas and Freedom of Space are also core tenants. These, as natural law implies, are universal and timeless. He admits, that International Law and the Natural Law are at odds with each other, one example being the Freedom of the Seas and the Exclusive Economic Zone and Territorial Waters. He sums up another core tenant as If you don't want something done to you, don't do it to others. The following administration under ben Sahid, his student and protege, kept to the majority of the principles.
The different ministries have different areas of responsibility. The Ministry of Economics, for example, is responsible for economic policies and stimuli, energy policy, industrial policy (including the management of industrial waste), external economic policy (in coordination with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs), digital policy, internet and internet development policy. In addition to that, several sub-agencies of the Ministry of Economics are responsible for competition regulation (the Cartel Office), regulation of the electricity, gas, telecommunications, post and railway markets (Network Agency), material research, safety and metrology (Institute for Materials Research, Testing and Metrology) and the Institute for Geosciences and Natural Resources (self explanatory).
Law and Law Enforcement
Kyrenaia also boasts very strict gun laws.
Generally, foreign embassies are located at the Qalat-al-Jabal, the ceremonial capitol of the Sultanate. The seat of government is always the home city of the Ilkhan, who was chosen as Sultan, currently that is Utica. In special cases, when the Sultanate values the diplomatic relations to a country especially, they ask for an Ambassador at Court, who then is the Ambassador of the country at the court of the current Sultan in his Seat of Government. Only a handful of such Ambassadors at Court are requested at any one time.
The Relationship between the Sultanate and the Free Lands of the Selkie
The Selkie and the Sultanate have a long and strong relationship, which knows its good times and its bad times. It was Razia Sultana, who, during the Second Vellenge War initiated and mediated peace talks between the Free Lands and Lutetii,
The Sultanate has signed several international agreements, including the Convention on the Prohibition of the Development, Production, Stockpiling and Use of Chemical Weapons and on their Destruction and the Treaty on Principles Governing the Activities of States in the Exploration and Use of Outer Space, including the Moon and Other Celestial Bodies.
While not a member of the World Assembly for various reasons, the Sultanate is a signatory of several Resolutions made by the World Assembly and will argue in accordance to the international standards established by them, if need should arise. The most important resolutions falling under this label are:
- Restrictions on Child Labor.
- Humanitarian Transport Convention.
- Prevention of Torture.
- The Prisoner of War Accord.
- The Resolution to Suppress International Piracy.
- The Diplomat Protection Act.
- The Ban on Slavery and Trafficking.
- Regulations on Desalination.
- Military Identification Tag Act.
- Wartime Healthcare Protections.
- Convention On Internet Neutrality.
- Pesticide Regulations.
- Landmine Safety Protocol.
- Researching Unique Ecosystems.
- The Proscription on Living Shields.
- Access to Humanitarian Aid.
- Protected Status in Wartime Convention.
- Nuclear Testing Protocol.
- Rules of Surrender.
- Biological Warfare Convention.
- Freedom to Read and Learn.
- Foreign Marriage Recognition.
- Nuclear Waste Safety Act.
- Standardised Passport Act.
- Conventions on Refugee Protection.
- International Salvage Laws.
The Five Ilkhanates
One of the most important matters of state had always been the educational system, including the Old Academies, and the State of the Youth. In the late 19th and early 20th century, many schools introduced school uniforms.
In Kyrenaia, the military plays and important role in society, but not overly so.
Primary mission of the Kyrenaian Armed Forces is the securing of Kyrenaian assets abroad, the representation of Kyrenaian Foreign-Political Interests and the securing of trade, all overshadowed in its importance by the primary mission: To defend the territorial integrety and the safety of the people of Kyrenaia.
Contrary to popular belief, the Order of the Tabardariyya stands outside of the military structure.
Sphere of Influence
Kyrenaia always prided itself in his sphere of influence and its upkeep, for which the Sultan's Navy is an integral tool.
Technically, Utica is not the capital of Kyrenaia. Capital of Kyrenaia is Qualat-al-Jabal, the Citadel on the Mountain, as the Sultanate's ceremonial center of power.
Utica, however, is the Seat of Government, as is the capital of any Ilkhanate who's ruler was chosen to be the Sultan - under Razia-Sultana's predecessor, Kian-Sultan, the Seat of Government was Ruspina.
The Sultanate's economic approach is mostly fixated on independence when it comes to food and fuel supplies, while maintaining a social market economy providing welfare to those in need and combining it with a mostly free market. However, Kyrenaia puts an emphasis on free trade and corresponding agreements.
By culture, this market does not fall into the traditional form of capitalism, much rather, while the means of production are mostly private, the owners are less focussed on short term profits and more on long-term development. There are a few obstacles in the way of completely free competition, mainly standards and regulations concerning security and health, which are also applied to imports, as well as core industries, like the water supply or arms manufacturing being in the hand of the Sultanate or, more often, in communal hands (water, not arms). The Power Supply is shared between the private and public sectors, with some power plants and suppliers being in the hands of municipal utility authorities, especially in more rural areas, while private companies like Surya Corp. compete as well.
Kyrenaian workers are supplied with a minimum wage law, which is regularly re-adjusted.
Kyrenaia's economy is focussed on the Secondary, Tertiary and Quarternary sectors, with the Primary, the agricultural sector, being important, but not having a huge part in the GDP.
Fish provides a substantial part of the food production in Kyrenaia, with major fishing fleets being operated from Callista, Ibossim, Pitane and Malaca. Whalers sail from Arambys and Acra, but have to stick to strict quotas.
There has to be given a mentioning to the mining industry in Kyrenaia.
Rare earths can be found in several places all over the country, where they are mined
Bauxite is mined in Arados.
Kyrenaia, while not rich in oil, has an industry dedicated to the fossil fuel. There are several off-shore oil platforms off the northern shores, especially off the mouth of the Tahul River System. Sais and Tanis are also the points of arrival for the produce of the oil platforms in the Khanate of Ibossim. Sabrata plays a minor role in the Kyrenaian oil industry. While there are sizable deposits of oil under the Dry Marshes in the Ilkhanate of Fenchu, there are currently no plans to exploit these resources.
Iron ore is mined in the Ilkhanate of Sarepta, especially around Cerne and in the Khanate of Aphek. Transported to Rusadir via coastal shipping, rivers and trains, the ore is refined into steel at Rusadir Steelworks in Rusadir, Ilkhanate of Sarepta. Other major iron mines are found around Nuzi in the Khanate of Khond and around Biruta and Sexi. Ironsand is mined around Serdica and Derbil.
In the Secondary Sector, the large manufacturing centres in the Ilkhanate of Sarepta and from Tipasa to Cirta are leading in the manufacturing of computer hardware and mechanical engineering, including of cars and aircraft - a substantial industry, that, so far, has not made much of an international splash.
The shipbuilding in the Ilkhanate of Megido mostly serves the domestic market.
The major car producers in Kyrenaia are Walaea Motorworks, with seat in Gadir.
The Tertiary Sector had a downturn in the last decade, mostly due to the introduction of a Quarternary Sector and due to industries belonging to this sector being tightly regulated and under ownership of the state, for example healthcare and telecommunication. Media and entertainment are rather strong industries in Kyrenaia, as the country has magnificent sceneries for movies and their exotic appearance gives further incentive to watch movies made there or with actors from Kyrenaia - all of which has yet to make an international impact. Tourism is on the rise as well.
In the Quarternary Sector, several of the universities of Kyrenaia are leading in their fields of study, such as medicine and engineering. Cooperating with the Secondary Sector's IT-Industry, software designing and programming are leading industries in Kyrenaia as well.
Kyrenaia has a total population of 559.3 million people, according to the 2018 census.
|Ilkhanate||Population 2018 census||Population 2013 census||Population 2008 census|
|Ilkhanate of Megido||98.1 million|
|Ilkhanate of Sarepta||177.3 million|
|Ilkhanate of Fenchu||56.7 million|
|Ilkhanate of Kyrene||42.1 million|
|Territories immediate to the Sultanate||35.4 million|
Contrary to popular belief, the Kyrenaians are not muslims. Much rather, the Kyrenaians are Polytheists with three main goddesses, namely Ischthar, Al-Uzza and Manat, respectively the Mother-Goddess, the Goddess of the Morning Star and the Goddess of Moon and Fate. In addition to that, there are quite a few other Gods and Goddesses.
There are small communities of Christians in Kyrenaia, mostly in the Ilkhanate of Sarepta, with a few thousand members. Although originally catholic, they separated centuries ago. Their patriarch is Adil Btryrik.
- See Main Article: Smoking in Kyrenaia.
Kyrenaians in general are rather healthy people,
In the Guilt-Shame-Fear spectrum of cultures, Kyrenaia rests more on the side of Shame then those of Fear or Guilt. Since 1899, honour duels with live weapons are forbidden, but revenge dynamics took different forms since then, .
Often referred to is the Kyrenaian Pride, which is often attributed to the Kyrenaians, describes the social mandate to keep and maintain reputation and face. In this, the Furusiyya plays an important role, the Kyrenaian Code of Honour showing ways to attain and maintain honour. While one might argue, that it is appearances, which count, the Kyrenaians know, that said appearances have to be substantiated.
- See Main Article: Music in Kyrenaia.
Arts and Architecture
Sports play a very important role in Kyrenaian Society, . Kyrenaian Footvolley enjoys high popularity ever since its inception,
To this day, Kyrenaian Chess is still a very popular game.
Fashion and Design
Traditional costume of the Kyrenaians is the Fistan Alshams, for which regional variations exist.